History of education
More significant investments in the schools of Slunj started during the brief French rule (1809-1813) within which an order defined that three education institutions are to be established: primary schools in the municipalities, grammar schools and lyceums in bigger towns as well as central schools with a university character. The education there took place in Croatian. During the Austro-Hungarian rule, in 1876, the Civil School (high civil) was founded because the development of crafts, trade and agriculture required educated people. The town that was forced to defend itself through history in wars, was left with little time and even less funds to develop schooling and care for the younger generations. Nevertheless, in that area too, Slunj produced significant people who left a trace in the time in which they lived.